Saturday 16 May 2009

College Course

First let me say a huge 'Thank You' to everyone that took the time to reply to my last blog entry and for supporting me!! I really appreciate people taking the time to comment and I don't know what I would do without all of the support and encouragement sometimes so, 'Thank You'!!

As I mentioned in my last blog entry, I went to college for an interview for the Health and Social Care Course that I want to do.

We heard back from the college a few weeks ago. They called my mum and asked whether or not she thought I would be able to cope with the placements on the course because of my RSD etc.

My mum told the college tutors that we had already spoke about how stressful it would be but that I really wanted to do the course and I was prepared to give it my all. The tutors were still really concerned about my RSD though and said that they were having a huge difficulty trying to find suitable placements for me because everyone was afraid that I would fall and injury myself or a patient. They said that academically, I would pass with flying colours but because of my RSD, they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to cope with the full course.

The tutors told my mum to speak to me and then to call them back asap the next day.

Me and my mum had a huge talk about the course and I didn't really know what to do. I really wanted to do the course but I felt as though the course providers didn't want me to do it because of my RSD. I am one of those sorts of people that wants to please everybody and doesn't want to make anyone feel like they have to do something for me - guess it's my Type 'A' personality!!!!

Eventually though, I told my mum that I wasn't going to let some teacher get in the way of my future carer and told her that I really wanted to do the course, even though I knew it would be a lot of hard work. My mum had also been on the college website and it says that they MUST provide suitable placements for anyone that is disabled as it is the law.

My mum called the tutors back and informed them of my decision and they still kept going on about how it would be hard work and that they don't know if i'd be able to cope etc. We told them though that I knew all of that but that it was something I wanted to do and was willing to give it my all.

My mum asked the tutors whether I had a place on the course and they kept trying to avoid giving her an answer. Eventually though, they said that I could have a place but that we need to be aware that it might be hard trying to find placements because of my RSD. My mum works for the Youth Club anyhow so she has contact with lots of different services if all else fails.

I'm just so relieved that I got a place on the course!! It was a lot of hard work but definitiely worth it in the end! I know that it will be hard work but it's something that I want to do and feel will be worth it in the end if I am able to complete the whole 2 years.

Me and my mum have to go to a meeting with the school on Monday to meet with the college tutors to discuss what might help me with the course etc. I'm glad that they are listening to me but at the sime time, I don't want them to be too over the top and single me out as someone that is really disabled.

I also have to go for a 'tester day' for the course in July. We will then find out more about the course and what it entails, when the placements will be etc.

Hopefully i'll be able to cope with all of the course and get my qualifications at the end of it. I really want to prove that I CAN do something even though I have RSD and prove to the ones that didn't think I could do it that they were wrong!!!!

I'm not going to let RSD get in the way of my life even though it is extremely hard at times. I am someday going to have to learn how to 'live' with it as it could be with me for the rest of my life unfortunately so I may as well start now!!

3 comments:

Lisa Moon said...

That's wonderful, Ali! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Yippee!!

Now, as for their reluctance to have you for the placements, can they not find you a placement in a referral agency as opposed to direct, 'hands-on' care? I mean more like social work instead of nursing, if that makes sense?

Actually, that is exactly what I'm having to do with my RSD/CRPS is change from anything physical to more of a desk job, still in the social services.

I bet if you look into it you'll find something! They need to think a bit outside their box! You're one determined young woman! You can do it!

Congrats again and I look forward to hearing more!

Hugs,
L

Alessea said...

I'm so so proud of you sweetie, and glad that despite their unwillingness you and your Mother fought them and got them to accept that you can do this.

Its going to be hard, going to be stressful and there will be times you will wonder why you decided to put yourself though the hardship but at the end you will know why. And we will all be here for you, through the good days and the bad so just remember if you ever need to talk that we are here for you.

All the best and I cant wait to here how things go.
Oh and are you able to go to the centre full time now? it sure sounds like a much better option for you seen as the school really hasn't taken all the chances you have given them.

Sorry I haven't been around lately, uni stress and sickness (you can read my update on my blog or on the forum, when you feel up to it).

Take care and sending you lots of congratulation hugs

123 said...

I've read some places that RSD/ RND only affects ppl with 'Type A' personalities. When you said that you were a 'Type A,' it hit home. My mom describes me as 'Type A' too! Maybe there really is a connection...