Tuesday 10 February 2009

Makeover Day!

For my Birthday, I got a great present from my mum and dad and got to go for a makeover day!!

I had the Makeover done just over 2 weeks ago now and I had such a great time and it was so nice to get pampered as I am pretty girly and it is something that I haven't been able to do a lot of since I have had RSD as I just haven't felt up to it really!!

Me and my mum went to Manchester, UK, which is about an hour and a half away from where we live and we both had a lovely, girly day!!

I got to have my hair done and the hairdresser was really nice and wasn't pushy and actually asked me how I felt and whether I wanted anything changing once he had finished etc! The hairdresser put lots of short layers into my hair and I love them - beforehand, my hair was always VERY curly and used to stick out a lot but since I have had it cut, it has stayed straight throughout the day after I have straightened it and it is very easy to manage!!

After I had my hair done, I got to go and have my nails and make-up done! That was lovely and the nail beautician gave me a lovely massage but didn't press down too hard on my RSD arm which was very good as it is still pretty sensitive!! I decided to have my nails painted red and picked out a lovely colour ... there was that many to choose from which made it extremely difficult!!

After my nails were finished, I got to go and have my make-up done and I really enjoyed that - it was so nice to get pampered!! The beautician went for a "smokey eyed" look but didn't put too much make-up on because of my age ... I liked it a lot though and think it really suited me!! She also gave me lots of hints and tips on how to hide any imperfections, spots etc etc!!

When my make-up was completed, me and my mum went and sat down whilst we waited for the photographer to come and take my pictures!! The photo-shoot was so much fun, and the photographer was very understanding about my RSD leg as I told him I only really wanted "head, shoulder and waist" shots as I was still very self-conscious about my leg!!

It was amazing what props they had to take the pictures and how they got me stoood in different pictures etc ... the Photographer could literally just put a pink piece of paper over the lens on the camera and it would make the background pink but not me - sooo cool!!

I took 3 outfit changes so that I could have a casual look and 2 dressier and party looks! The Photographer came up with lots of great ideas on how to get me stood so that they could achieve the best pictures etc!!!

Once the pictures were finished, we were told to go and have a drink as it was an hour wait to go through all of the pictures! Me and my mum went and had a coffee and a bit of something to eat in Starbucks and when we returned, the Photographer said that he wanted me to do some more pictures as they had a problem with the lens and some of the photos had disappeared!!

By that time, I was getting pretty tired and my leg was hurting a lot but we managed to get some lovely, casual pictures!!!!

After the second photoshoot was finished, me and my mum got to go through all of the pictures! They took about 40 pictures and it was extremely difficult trying to choose what pictures we liked and which we didn't!! I think we would have kept them all but it would have cost a LOT of money that we just couldn't afford!!

Eventually, we came up with 13 pictures that we thought were the best and the Photographer gave us a good deal on them ... they were still pretty expensive but my mum said it was well worth it so she didn't mind too much!! We haven't got any pictures of me recently because of my RSD so it is nice to have some good pictures that we can put in the house!!

Here are some of the pictures below ... i'm sorry for only just putting them on but I have only just found out how to resize them onto my blog lol! I hope you all like them!!

Photobucket

I like the above image as I think it looks very casual and I don't look too old in it!

Photobucket

I love this image as I think it is very bright and pretty unusual - when I had the makeover, the Photographer told us to go for a black background instead of the yellow but it just didn't look right!

Photobucket

I like the "close-up" look on the image above!

Photobucket

I absolutely loved the chair that I was on for this picture shoot - it was a shoe and I really wanted to take it home as it was so young and funky lol!

Photobucket

I like how I am sat on the steps on this picture and even though you can tell that my leg is rotated out to the side, I don't think it is too obvious and think anyone that doesn't know I have RSD would just think I had it like that for the photo to be taken!!

Photobucket

I love the pink background on this image as it is just like me ... really girly!!

Photobucket

A lot of my friends and teachers say that they like this picture the best as I have a lot of attitude in it and that was the look the the Photographer and I was going for!

Photobucket

I like the close up look on the above picture also as I think it is really different and you don't see pictures like that too often!!

My Makeover!

I like how I have my arms on my chin on this picture and think the pose is really good!

My Makeover!!

This image is probably my favourite but I really do like them all!

I was in a LOT of pain when these images were taken but who would have known it?! It just goes to show that even though you have RSD, you don't have to put your life on hold and that a bit of pampering can make a BIG difference!!!

5 comments:

Nancye said...

The pictures are wonderful! You are such a lovely young lady. From the look on your face you must be pretty good at hiding your pain. I've also gotten pretty good at putting on "the face". Thanks for posting your pictures! Hope you have a pain-free day.

Nancye

Lisa Moon said...

Oh, how wonderfully fun!

I love your hair - it's very au courant: current, trendy! :)

They did a lovely job keeping your makeup light and natural; your skin looks flawless and you're blessed with lovely, full lips (I'm no longer practising, but am a licensed and experienced Esthetician in my country; I do know about these things!).

I especially like the one where you're wearing jeans and leaning on the steps; and no one would ever think there was something 'off' about your RSD leg - just us who know about it! To me, the first thing I saw was a young woman just casually being photographed in her everyday clothes - yet looking quite model-like whilst doing so!

My other favourite would probably be the... 3rd to last, I think? The very close up, which showcases your lovely new hair and pretty face to perfection!

I hope you're very pleased with your day, your new 'do and the photo memories. What a lovely, fun gift!

Gentle hugs,

Lisa

PS Hope you don't mind my asking, but when you walk, does your RSD leg stay rotated out? Mine would do that to protect itself; I call it my penguin leg, as it makes me feel like a little bit of a waddly penguin! :) I have to see the humour in these things, you know! (PLEASE don't think I'm making light of your situation, though - I'm really just curious to compare experiences!).

RSDsux said...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments on my pictures ... I really appreciate them and so does my mum! I am SO glad that you like them all!

Lisa - Thank you for your kind words about my lips - I am extremely self-conscious about my bottom lip as it always seems to stick out a lot! I put something through my lip whilst playing when I was a baby and it made my bottom lip appear really large and I don't like it sometimes! It's good to know though that people don't always judge me because of my bottom lip and RSD so thank you so much for that!!

I had a great day at the makeover, it was SO much fun and definitely an experience that I wont ever forget!! Me and my mum are talking about going and getting a "Mum and daughter" picture taken when I feel up to it and when we can afford it ... my mums bankrupt after paying for the pictures lol.

Lisa - My leg stays out to the side all the time. I have Dystonia on top of the RSD which is a movement disorder and my foot has stayed rotated for about 2 years now. I have tried all sorts from muscle relaxants to PT and nothing has worked so far ... the PT's are now talking about casting my leg which I am VERY scared about but I wont ever give up hope and will remain optimistic and tell them if I don't like something they want to do!

Thanks again for the lovely comments and for reading my blog - you're all the best!

I hope you're both having a low pain day!

Alessea said...

I've already told you, but I'm going to say again, just how much I love these photos of you! I'm so glad you were able to have this experience despite the pain, you will have them as lifelong memories and just looking at them will inspire you on the harder days.

Take care and keep bloggin lol!

Lisa Moon said...

Alison-

I just wanted to let you know I've just replied to an e-mail I received about the forum from your mum/you...

I don't have a direct address for you, so I hope it comes to your mum ok...

Just wanted to say sorry that the forum seems to have gone this way; I've only been involved in one other such forum (not for RSD) and similar things happened - turned into a politics/popularity thing, which was a real shame and caused me to leave it altogether...

However, I do look forward to reading your blog still and, should you OR your mum feel like it, please e-mail me directly anytime!

Hope things are well for you and you're keeping busy and happy with school and such.

Take very good care,

Lisa