Thursday 26 February 2009

Meeting at College on Tuesday

First of all, I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has supported me throughout the past week or so and even longer than that for that matter! I have been going through a lot lately and dealing with a lot of stress and your support has meant the world to me so thank you all for always being there for me - it means a lot and I just hope I can repay you all back in some way!!

I had a meeting on Tuesday with the College near where we live. As some of you may already know if you have been reading my Blog, I am currently taking my Year 9 Options which is where you basically choose which subjects you want to do in the last 2 years of School. You have to take Math, English and Science and then you can pick any other subjects you would like to do.

The meeting on Tuesday at College was about a course that I am hoping to do. The Course is based on Health and Social Studies and lasts for 2 years. During that time, you learn a lot about health, first aid, how to look after small children etc.

The teachers at the meeting were really friendly and they gave me and my mum lots of really useful information. Because I have been off school for so long due to my RSD and other health issues, we have to get my Pain Management Doctor to write the teachers a note telling them about my RSD, how it affects me etc.

I have to go for an interview on the 22nd and 23rd April and I should find out a few weeks after than if I am going to be accepted or not!! I really hope that I will as I think it will be really useful for me seeing as I want to be either a Psychologist or Physiotherapist.

Will the Course be a lot of hard work? Yes, there is no doubt about it and I have been told that already by all of the teachers. Am I prepared for it though? I think I am yes! I know it will be a lot of hard work but I think it will all be worthwhile as long as I can cope with it and I remember to pace myself! The teachers on the Course already know about my RSD and said that if I get onto the course and need time off, that is fine as long as I catch up in my own time! I was SO shocked on Tuesday as one of the teachers was a nurse and she actually knew what RSD was ... not many people have heard about RSD so that was a huge surprise!!!

I will keep you all updated and let you know when I hear anything else - please keep your fingers crossed for me!!

2 comments:

Lisa Moon said...

That sounds so wonderful and promising, Alison! Hooray!
And what an excellent way to prepare yourself for your possible career direction - and, really, excellent preparation for life, I'd say!
I'm glad the nurse-teacher had heard of RSD; gosh, it sure helps when people have at least SOME idea of what we go through!
You're a well written (instead of spoken!) young woman with a lot of insight and immense caring, so I think your direction sounds like a brilliant one indeed.
In fact, I'm positive that your experiences will only help you in your schoolwork, too, providing, again, much-needed insight as well as a potential topic if you're asked to do a project, perhaps? What a great way to spread the word about RSD!
I am certain you will do well at your interview and I hope the program works out for you.
Should it not be an ideal fit, are there other options to choose from? Are they all 2 year programs, then?
Just curious as your school system is structured a bit differently than ours here in Canada.
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts - I'll bet the next several weeks will keep you excited!

Hugs,
L

RSDsux said...

Thank you so much for your kind words Lisa - your support means a lot to me and I really appreciate it!!

I'm not sure what other courses are available if I don't get onto the Health and Social Care Diploma that I have signed up for. I have taken a good look at the other courses available with my mum and there doesn't seem to be anything that looks that suitable - all of the other courses seem to be about Hair and Beauty, Construction etc so there is anything really other than that course that would help me got a job in the health field!

I really hope I get accepted onto this Course, if not, i'm not sure what we would do - I guess I would have to re-look at my Options and see what else is available for me!

The teacher did say that my Attendence shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as I got a note from my Doctor and the teachers at the School centre where I am now stating how the illness affects me, why I have had time off school, what grades I have been getting etc. My mum got all of the details from my school teachers yesterday and they said that I was doing OK so hopefully that will help!

Thanks again for your kind words and support and I will keep you all updated when I hear anything!