Thursday 29 January 2009

Decisions, Decisions!!!!

Yesterday, me and my mum had a meeting at the School to talk about my Options! For those of you that don't know, Options are basically where you choose what subjects you want to take in the last 2 years of School - you HAVE to take Maths, English and Science and then you can choose what other subjects you would like to take depending on what you want to be when you are older!!

The meeting was mainly so that the parents and guardians could see what the Options are and to help their child make the best possible decision!! All of the teachers spoke and infomed us about what we would do in each subject and then we were allowed to have a look round the School and talk to the teachers and staff that run the course we were interested in!!

I am really interested in being a Physiotherapist or Psychologist when I am older so me and my mum went to the Music Room to talk to the staff about it! This one teacher was really horrible and said that because I haven't attended school for such a long period of time, there is no way I could be accepted onto the course!! I was really angry and shocked and I didn't know what to say - I felt like I was being discriminated against just because I was disabled!

We left the room in shock and went into the Dining Hall and spoke to one of my friends who also has health complaints similar to mine and she was interested in the same course of me also! She couldn't believe what that teacher said to me and my mum and said that she had seen another teacher about the course who was really lovely and helpful!! My friends mum told us where to go to see the teacher so off we went...

This teacher was really lovely and my mum explained my health conditions to her and she said that it wasn't a problem and that I would probably still get accepted onto the course!!! She said that if I needed to have time off school due to hospital appointments etc, I would just have to catch up on the school work in my own time!!

The course that I am interested in is called 'Health and Social Care' and it lasts 2 years. I have been told that it will be really hard but it is something I want to do and feel would help me so hopefully, it will be all worth while!! On the Course, you learn a lot about health and you also have to do 50 hours of Placements in a Nursing Home, Hospital, Nursery, Maternity Ward, Court, School etc etc so it sounds really interesting!!! At the end of the course, you get 7 GCSE's (qualifications) and then you can either go on to college or get a job!!

A lot of my friends are applying for the course also so if I get accepted, hopefully I will be with people that I know! The teacher said that 15 people apply and usually around 12 people get accepted onto the course so I have a high chance of getting accepted hopefully!!

We also spoke to the ICT (computer) teachers about a computer course that I would like to do and I have been told that I might be able to do some of the course at home but that it would be better if I came into school to do it as I would get more help! I am now looking at going back to school on a part-time basis, maybe for 2 hours a week and then build it up from there when I feel up to it! There is no way I would be able to cope with full time at School at the moment so I don't want to drop out of the School centre altogether at the moment as i'm happy there but at some point, I will have to stop going as much in order to do the course!

The course starts in September and me and my mum have to go to a Opening Evening at the College in February and then I have to go for an interview which is where they will choose whether I am suitable for the course! We should find out in April if I am going to get accepted onto the course and then I have a lot of preperation work to do for September!!

It's quite scary making all of these decisions as this could rule my life but hopefully, I will have made the right decision and be happy!!....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison, I am not sure if you remember me from earlier in 2008 when we were on a forum together. I went by the screen name puppybraille and signed my name as Nickie and Julio (Julio's my yellow lab Guide Dog). I came across your blog through my friend Lisa Moon's blog and I was really excited to see you, I recognized your writing style. I've wondered how you are and have missed being on the forum together and reading about how you are. I am sorry to read about the losses you had in 2008, I know how hard it is to lose people we love.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to get into the course you want to get into. I know you'll do a great job. I wish we had those kind of courses in high school here, I think I would've enjoyed that. I'm doing social work in college and love that, but I wish I could have taken health-related stuff in high school, I have always found it fascinating, even before I got RSD/CRPS.

I'm really looking forward to keeping up with your blog, I'm excited to have come across you again.

Lisa Moon said...

Hi, Alison!
Wow, the courses sound wonderful! My son's school has something similar, called career prep programs, which his school is known for (there are a number of choices from trades like Carpentry which there is a large need for right now, to Culinary Arts, to Health and Education). They are also over the last 2 years of high school (here that's grades 11 and 12; we graduate students after that, at age 18 or so). The programs are awesome because you get work experience and with the trades, they even offer credit at the same time for first year college!

Thinking about this makes me very excited for you! Your experiences with RSD/CRPS will give you an insight that few others posess. You're already a very well-spoken young woman so there is clearly so much open for you in the years to come!

Keep on with your schooling, taking care of your health first as you have been doing so very well!

Sounds like there is a lot of exciting things coming up for you and I'm so very glad for that.

((((hugs)))