Wednesday 14 January 2009

I Got Tagged!! ...

One of my very close RSD friends, Lisa Moon tagged me. I thought it would be fun to complete this challenge and to try and think of 25 things about myself that I am willing to share with others and what other people may not know about me already and might find interesting.

Thank you very much for the tag Lisa - this looks like a lot of fun although I will admit I am slightly nervous as this is the first time I have done anything like this!!

Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged.

OK, here goes...

1) I am an animal lover!! I am absolutely mad about animals and whenever me and my mum go to Pet Stores and I see all of the little and cute animals there all on their own, I always want to buy them and take them home with me!! Thankfully, my mum is an animal lover too!

2) I have a Springer Spaniel called Jack, an African Grey Parrot named Sparky, a Chinchilla called Tabatha, a Chameleon called Gizmo (he is SO cool!) a Dwarf Russian Hamster called Honey and about 5 fish!

3) My hair is dyed. I have my hair brown at the moment with red highlights in it and I love it!! My natural hair colour is brown - when I was born, my hair was jet black but it's got lighter as i've got older!

4) I am a self obsessed cleaning freak!! I like everything to be spotless and I always like to make myself look tidy and think personal hygeine is VERY important!

5) I don't have any siblings. I have never really been bothered for a little brother or sister - I like being in my own company too much!

6) My favourite colour is pink - I am VERY girly!!!

7) I suffer from a Chronic Pain Condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) in my left leg and right arm. I developed CRPS when I was just 12 years old and I am now 13! CRPS is probably one of the most hardest things I have ever had to deal with but I DO have faith and hope that things will get better one day!

8) I absolutely love the singer, Katy Perry - she is great and has an amazing voice and I love all of her songs as they are sooo funny!

9) My Birthday is on the 2nd February. I was actually late arriving into the world - my mums due date was the 23rd January!

10) I currently attend a special School Centre 3 days a week for 4 hours a day as I am unable to attend full-time school due to my CRPS. I love the School Centre as the teachers and pupils are VERY understanding of my illness and don't treat me any differently but I would love to be able to attend a proper, mainstream school!!

11) I will only eat white meat - I absolutely hate dark meats such as Beef and Pork!!

12) I have 2 hobbies. I absolutely love Card Making and Scrapbooking!!! I make cards to sell to my friends and family to try and raise money for the hospitals that have been treating my RSD and I really enjoy it as it is a good distraction from the pain!

13) When I grow up, I would absolutely love to be either a Psychologist or a Physiotherapist. It is my goal to try and help others and this condition has really opened my eyes

14) I have always had low self-esteem since I was little. I am naturally a very shy person and it really frustrates me at times as it makes it hard for me to meet new people. It's strange as I can talk forever on the computer to my friends but when it's face-to-face, it's a totally different situation!!!

15) I am a huge Playboy fan - I have Playboy duvet covers, pillow cases, stationery etc etc!!

16) I am Hypermobile which means that I am very flexible and can get my joints into lots of weird positions. My Physiotherapist's believe that this could be one of the reasons I developed CRPS/RSD.

17) I also suffer from Dyspraxia which means I can't co-ordinate my limbs very well at all and struggle from subjects such as Maths.

18) I am not very religious although I do respect other peoples religions and beliefs.

19) I absolutely love Ice-Skating but I am unable to go now because of the RSD unfortunately!

20) My cousion is due to have a baby boy any minute now!! Me, my mum and my nanan didn't think she would get right to the end of her pregnancy as she is very big but she has and is due tomorrow!

21) My grandad lives in Spain - many of you might think that that is really good but I miss him a lot and we don't get to see him very often due to school and my mums work patterns.

22) I always tend to put others before myself ... it is good in some ways but I guess it is also bad in others as I tend to "forget" that my life is important too and that I NEED to put myself first for a change.

23) My favourite subject at School is English. I have always loved English and when I was young, I would spend hours reading or practising my hand-writing!!

24) I am currently taking my Year 9 'Options' which is where you basically have to pick what subjects you want to carry on doing in school. You HAVE to do Math, English and Science and then you can pick any other subjects you want to study. Teachers use Options a lot to help teenagers of my age to figure out what they want to be when they are older.

25) Last but not least ... I have learnt a lot since developing RSD and I DO feel that it has made me see life in a different prospective. Before I got RSD, I guess I used to take things for granted but I am now very thankful for what I am able to do and I always try to realise that things could always be so much worse!!

So, there you have it!! I found that really fun but also pretty hard at the same time! I always tend to have a problem trying to think of things when I want to (probably from the RSD and meds!).

I don't know that many people that have a Blog so i'm not going to 'Tag' anyone at the moment but should anyone wish to be tagged, please let me know as I am more than willing to involve you in this activity!!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my 25 things about me and I will be back soon with an update about what has been happening with me and my family!!

5 comments:

Lisa Moon said...

Yay! Very well done, Alison! I very much enjoyed reading your 25 things. :)

Don't worry, I didn't tag 25 others, either. Promise nothing bad will happen if you don't, haha!

It was my first time doing one of these, too, so I wasn't quite sure how much to write about but decided to just 'go with' what came to me... and there you go!

I love animals, too! I last had a hamster who was very special. She suffered a broken leg as a baby so I took her to raise myself, nursing her back to health and helping her to learn to trust me. Needless to say, one cannot cast a hamster leg, so she healed, but was left with a leg which turned outward and moved like a little penguin. It turned out to be some kind of special bond with us even more when I became injured - and wound up with a very similar little penguin foot, too!

Pets bring us so much joy and comfort and love. I'm happy to now live in a home that will allow me to have a kitty and hope to adopt one sometime soon.

I'd love to see pictures of your pets should you have the ability to post them sometime!

Hope all is well otherwise with school and homelife for you.

Thinking of you often,

Lisa (((hugs)))

RSDsux said...

Thank you so much for your kind words Lisa, I really appreciate them ((hugs))!!

I did the same thing as you when I wrote my "tag" list. I wasn't sure what to write so I just decided to go along with the flow and see what came out of it!!

That was SO sweet of you to help a hamster who had a broken leg - you sound a lot like me!! I had a Russian Hamster called Mishka and she broke her leg on her wheel and it rotated out at a 90 degree angle but she managed to hobble around and lived for a good year with a broken leg!

I'm so glad to hear that you are going to be able to get a kitty - i'm sure that will help you a lot! You are so right about animals bringing us so much joy and love - I often think that animals are a "better" than humans in a way as they don't judge you and are always there for you when you need them!!

I'll try and get some pictures of my little fur family and upload them onto my blog for you!

Thanks again for your kind words, I really appreciate them!!

jeisea said...

Hi Alison

This is a great post. I notice you have hypermobility. I do too but not sure about the CRPS connection. I believe inflamation is implicated in CRPS. There hepaps of resxearch about preventing crps by taling vitamin C, not mega doses just 1000mg. If interested there is information about this on my blog. Just look to the left under CRPS/RSD related articles. Do you know that mirror therapy is well accepted as a treatment for CRPS which is in one limb eg one arm or one leg. In the UK in Manchester there's a Dr Ilan Leiberman who has a website about this. http://www.mirrorboxtherapy.com/

You can contact Dr Leiberman through the web site and ask him questions. He's really helpful and very interested in the new brain science for treating pain.

There are heaps of ways to retrain the brain and so much of the research is going on in the UK. I live in Australia. One of our researchers, Dr Lorimer Moseley, is at Oxford university at present. In the UK the Interfaces Group are doing research into treating CRPS type pain using virtual reality I believe.
I've had crps a long time but am finally seeing good results.

Let me know by leaving a comment on my blog if I can help you in any way. I also recommend you look at Tony Tobin's website. He has RSD world health news based in the UK. Tony's granddaughter has crps and has had remission.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/RSD-WorldNews/
Fiunally Matthias has a brilliant website. He's a German physical therapist.http://neurotopian.blogspot.com/

Here is my website.
http://crps-rsd-a-better-
life.blogspot.com/

Hope you don't mind my commenting.
jeisea

RSDsux said...

Thank you Jeisea for your kind words and help ... I really appreciate it!!

My Physiotherapist's explained to me that if you are Hypermobile, you are more likely to develop such chronic pain conditions like CRPS as your joints will bend a lot further than someone who isn't. My mum did some research on the internet and found quite a few articles stating that more often than not, people that suffer from RSD/CRPS are hypermobile. I also spoke to quite a few people on several forums and they also mentioned that they were Hypermobile so that would seem to fit in.

We didn't find out that I was Hypermobile until I went onto an intense physiotherapy program. I was always VERY clumsey as a young child and would fall over a lot but we never thought anything of it and never realised that there might be a reason behind some of my problems.

Thank you for the links - I will look into them with my mum. My Physio's have done Mirror Box therapy on me before but it didn't work so they decided after a few months that it wasn't worth doing and that they would move onto something else that might be more beneficial. It is worth looking into again though - I'm not sure if my Physio's know that much about Mirror Box Therapy as they did say that they had only used the mirrors on 2 other children with RSD.

Thanks again for you help - I really appreciate it!

jeisea said...

Hi Alison again

You know you don't need a mirror box to do mirror therapy. Just a mirror that you can put you painful limb behind. I have photos of what I do and can explain. The thing about it is it will not work if you don't get it right. I found once that I was getting no where and vary frustrated. I had a shoulder problem. I realized that I was actually looking at my arm moving in the mirror and not at the shoulder where the real cause of the problem was. I also discovered that if I have a whole leg/hip problem which includes the foot, the pain and symptoms recede from the furtherest point, ie the foot, then gradually the more I use a mirror the more the symptoms retreat back to the initiating point.
let me know if I can be of any help to you.
jeisea