Wednesday 31 December 2008

Time to Reflect on The Past Year

As the year ends, I thought it would be nice to reflect on the past year and to think about all of the things that I have achieved, the things that I need to work on, the things that I wish I did differently etc.

2008 has been a very busy and stressful year for me. I have been going to hospital appointments weekly and sometimes even more than that, have attended 2 Intense Physiotherapy Programs which ment I had to stay away from home for a little while, have tried various procedures to try and put my RSD into remission, my grandad passed away which was highly stressful and upsetting - the list of things I have done could go on forever and ever but i'll stop there!

I have learnt so many things this past year that I never even imagined were possible, some of the things I have learnt unfortunately had to be learnt the hard way whilst some of the things I learnt for myself by talking to others.

I have learnt that I HAVE to live life to the fulliest everyday because you just don't know what is around the corner. It is SO hard going out sometimes when I just don't feel up to it but I have learnt to as I now realise that you have to live life to the fulliest because you just don't know what is around the corner. I am trying to live my life to the best of my ability and am hoping not to have any regrets, although of course that is impossible!

I have learnt that I am a much stronger person than I thought I was! The 2 Intense Physiotherapy Programs really made me strong and whilst many times I felt like giving in and going home, I didn't and I would never be at the point where I am now if I had have done!

I learnt that it is OK to ask for help and that it doesn't mean that I am weak. Everyone, even without physical problems have to ask for help at some point in their lives and it is completely normal.

I have learnt to listen to my body and not push myself too much. At the beginning of my RSD journey, I just would not listen to my body and I always ended up in major flares afterwards. It was hard trying to listen to my body in the beginning but I am getting there slowly.

I have learnt that I can help people that are in a similar position to me even if it is just a little or if we live miles away!

I have learnt a lot...

I still have a huge way to go in battling my fight against RSD but I truly believe that with persiverance and a little time and effort, I will get there and nothing is impossible! As Felicia said, "Spread your wings and fly, nothing is impossible"!

Many times I feel like giving in but then I realise that things could always be soooo much worse and that I am lucky to be able to do some of the things I can do, even though it might not feel like it at times. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, food and water, can walk short distances etc ... many people aren't so lucky!

I have learnt a lot this year and I have had to learn some things the hard way which was extremely difficult but I truly believe that things happen for a reason. I am going to try my darn hardest to fight this monster RSD in 2009 and try and get it into remission somehow!!

I also wanted to wish you all a great New Year and I hope you are all blessed in every way possible!

4 comments:

Alessea said...

Isn't it amazing how much we really can achieve when we put our minds to it, things we look back on and think at one point we would never have got through.

I know your whole family are proud of how far you have come and all the things you have done despite what the year has thrown at you-if we gave medals, you would be getting a gold.

As long as we learn something from each experience, they have not been worthless even if what we learn is hard to accept. I like to believe that things happen for a reason even if we dont understand or are happy about it. Its how we deal and come through that matters.

I really hope that 2009 will bring remission for you, in whatever form that may be-even if it is simply being able to manage the pain in such a way that you are able to carry on with life more in line with your peers...complete remission would be fantastic but I look at it slightly differently, better management that makes life easier would be good enough for me.

Take care sunshine and keep writing, you are truly one amazing gifted child and I cannot wait to see what impact on the world you are going to have as you continue to grow.

Sending love and best wishes for a Happy New Year to you and your family.

RSDsux said...

Thank you SO much Felicia for your kind words, I truly appreciate them ((hugs)).

You are soo right about how amazing it is with how much we can achieve if we put our minds to it! I never dreamt in a million years that I would be able to achieve some of the things that I have and I am soo thankful! Some of the things I have achieved, i'm not that proud about and feel that I could have done better but even a slightest little improvement is better than nothing!!

I really hope that 2009 will bring remission to you too. I think of remission as the same as you do - being able to manage the symptoms and go and do all of the normal things that you want to do. I think sometimes, if you set your sights too high, it can often backfire on you.

I hope and pray that 2009 is a great year for you filled with lots of love and happiness. Thank you so much for being such a great friend to me ((hugs))!

All my love and best wishes,
Alison.

Lisa Moon said...

Hi, Alison,
Sorry for the delay in commenting... computer issues has me somewhat disoriented...

Anyway, what an impressive post. You are an incredibly intelligent young woman who possesses strength and insight far beyond your years.

As Alessea said, I too cannot wait to see what you contribute to the world because of your knowledge. And I also agree that things do happen in life and, while we don't always understand why (especially when they are so difficult) that each thing is an opportunity to grow, to learn, to experience.

May you always be so wise as so embrace the chance to learn - even the seemingly painful lessons.

Let's hope that this new year brings improved pain levels for all of us as we individually continue to work on overcoming this challenge.

Sending you much love and support. I can't wait to hear how things are going at your neat new school program, at home and everything.

Take very good care, luv (that's what my mum always calls me; I hope you find it soothing, too).

Lisa

PS I'm 'tagging' you on my blog! Feel free to do it or not, though. :)

Hayley Cafarella said...

Hi Alison,

I also have RSD and I know how much it sucks! I am currently redesigning my blog to include a separate page with links to blogs and websites related to RSD. I would love to include a link to your site if that's ok with you? Please drop me an email. I would love it if you would be interested in writing a short (bout 50 words) blurb to include with the link.
Hope you are doing well!
-Caf
HayleyCaf@gmail.com