Friday 7 November 2008

My First Day at the New School Centre

Today was my first day at the new school centre. Everything went fine, although I was really exhausted afterwards but that is only to be expected!!

All of the other children and staff are really nice, helpful and friendly. When I was going into the centre, all of the children shouted "Hi Alison, How are you today?", it was so strange has I got a better reception from them than I did from my so-called friends that I have known for years!!

Today was a "Getting to know you session", the teachers asked us all lots of questions that we all had to answer so that we knew a bit about eachother. There are only 6 other children at the centre although a new boy is starting this coming Monday. After we got to know eachother, we all sat down and read the local newspaper. This I am told is something that they do every day to make the children have a better understanding of what is happening near us.

After we read the newspaper, we went and did some work. The teachers asked me to do a Coat Of Arms and to do some drawing. After about half an hour, we then all got to have a break. We were allowed either tea, coffee or hot chocolate and toast or buscuits free of charge!! You don't get that in school!!! We had about an half an hour break and then we all returned back to doing out Coat Of Arms and then stuck it on the wall. Seeing has it was Friday, the teachers allowed us to have some free time. Lots of the children went into the gym but me and another girl that couldn't do sports has she has ME played the game, Guess Who which was nice. We also had a good chat to oneanother.

The teachers wanted to introduce me gradually into things so today, we didn't really do much work and writing. One thing I like about the centre is that all of the children treat eachother equally and don't judge oneanother. Even when my leg was really badly shaking, non of the other kids sat and stared and laughed at me - it was sort of like they had been told what to expect.

On Monday a women is coming in to help us with our Self Confidence. I have always been really shy but since developing RSD it has took a real beating and gotten worse. Hopefully the women will be able to help me, she is coming every Monday for 40 weeks to work with us all and do a course. At the moment, I am only going to the centre Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's so that I can gradually ease into things and get a break inbetween sessions.

I'm going to go rest has i'm tired but overall it has been a good day (except the pain and spasms but we wont go there just yet)....

3 comments:

Alessea said...

Ali this sounds like such a hopeful post, the school sounds like it will really work for you and I'm glad they are accepting of you and also round your age.

I am reading though that you are in a lot of pain though and I'm sad about that...have you got around to getting a TENS yet? do you think you will still see about trying it out? ((hugs)) your way my friend and I hope things settle down soon for you. Take care and lots of love coming your way.

Lisa Moon said...

Hi, Alison,
I enjoyed reading your post about your new school. It sounds really lovely! I attended an 'alternative' (as in alternative to traditional high school here in Canada) for a couple of years and they were some of my happiest school times. This one reminds me of that, with the small class and teacher attention, the flexibility to fit what the student needs, and focus on real skills such as respect.

As alessea noted, it does sound like it's quite trying for you to keep up with the routine. I hope the gradual introduction works well for keeping your pain levels more tolerable.

For me, I've found it quite comforting finding people like alessea - and now you, too! - to chat with. While it makes me sad to know such lovely ladies must live with this nasty thing, it heartens me a great deal to know that you both understand exactly how it feels can relate to the different feelings it can bring up in your life.

You sound like a remarkable young woman and, as I believe I mentioned before, I would never have guessed your relatively young age from your writing. I think it's your obvious intelligence and maturity that will help you keep this beastie of a disease in check!

Take good care of yourself, listen to your body's signals, but keep those challenges, too; you're doing great!

((hugs))

Lisa

RSDsux said...

Thank you Felicia and Lisa for your kind words and support, it means a lot to me.

I am so glad that this new school centre seems to be going well at the moment, I just hope it continues! So far, I love all of the kids and teachers has they are really understanding. I go to the centre again tomorrow for 4 hours and then get a break on Wednesday to try and allow my body time to relax, which is good.

I hope you are both doing well and thank you for reading my blog!

Love and pain-free hugs to the 2 of you.