Saturday 4 October 2008

Physical Therapy Appointment



I love that imagine, that is what I am like EVERY week During Physical Therapy!!

On Wednesday I had my regular, weekly Physical Therapy appointment. The Appointment went Ok although it was REALLY painful!! A few months ago, I really didn't get along with my Physical Therapists, I felt like they didn't listen to anything I was saying but that has really changed now thankfully and they seem to listen to EVERYTHING that I am saying and are also noticing things that I am not noticing.

The PT's said that my posture is really bad and when they checked my pelvis, they said that I had a load of knots and that I felt extremely tight. The PT's said that this was probably because of the pain I was in and that the muscles in my pelvis and hip could be spasming. They gave me a lot more exercises to do to try and release some of the tension in my pelvis. The exercises I have been given include Bridges (this is where you have to bend your knees, and put some weight through your feet whilst lifting your stomach up - that really hurts as I can't put that much pressure through my RSD leg!!!), Clams (this is where you have to bend your knees and then move them from side to side) and a load of others!!

The PT's also got me on the treadmil, I didn't really do anything, they set the treatmil to the lowest setting so I could try and tolerate it and all I had to do was try and walk. The PT's wanted to see how I was walking with my leg rotated out to the side so that they could see what they needed to focus more on. They said that I am putting most of my weight through my good leg (that makes sense as when I was on the WII Fit, it said I had 70% pressure through my good leg and only 30% through my bad leg) and that I don't seem to know where my centre of gravity is. They are going to try and work on that more during the next few weeks.

The PT's wanted to see if they could get the splint moulded onto my leg during Wednesday's PT session using just gas and air but they couldn't as the Orthotic Doctor was off sick. The PT's spoke to my PM Doctor and he said that I need to have my leg manipulated whilst I am asleep as it would be way too painful for me to have it done whilst I was awake. On the 22nd October, I am due to go back into hospital for the day and have my leg manipulated and a splint moulded onto my foot whilst I am asleep under general anasthetic. I should only be in the hospital for the day as it will take 2 weeks for the splint to make - yay!!

I will keep you all updated!

No comments: